[Qgis-developer] AW: [Qgis-user] printing with metis?

Hugentobler Marco marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 4 03:20:25 EDT 2008

Hi Marco,

If you are curious about the print composer developments, just check out the printing branch:
svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/qgis/branches/advanced_printing_branch

I'm trying to bring the branch to a stable state until 15. August so it can be tested by interested folks. 25. August is the feature freeze for 1.0 and the latest date for merge.

To your suggestions:

>2. on mouse over the object may show a tooltip showing the name of the
>object

That's a good idea, I added it to my todo list. Maybe tooltip could also show the most important properties of the object

>3. users should be able to resize the objects on the page directly with the
>mouse (such as resizing windows); now resizing is possible only giving the
>width-height parameters as numbers (that's good for a fine sizing, but not
>for a quick one)

In printcomposer branch, it is possible to resize the maps in composer and also to move the content of composer map. For the other objects (scale bar, label, legend), resizing changes the size of the frame, but not the size of the content.

>1. when the user press an "add object" button, the object may be
>automatically placed on the map, with a standard (small) dimension and
>position (left up corner?)

I'm not sure about that. Most graphic programs (and also the main window of QGIS for some tools) work the way that a user picks a tool and nothing happens until mouse click or drag in canvas is done. E.g. in inkscape, if you add a rectangle, you pick the rectangle tool and the rectangle appears once the user drags the mouse on the canvas. I think it is quite natural to work this way.

However, in inkscape, there is a changing mouse cursor depending on the selected tool. I think that would also be helpful in the print composer.

Regards,
Marco