[Qgis-developer] font setting in attribute table (r9160)

Steven Mizuno spookster at netzero.net
Wed Aug 27 06:06:51 EDT 2008

Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> Also, on a Mac, Lucida Grande is the default font so I removed Helvetica.
> Qt has keywords such as Serif and SansSerif to specify cross-platform
> fonts but SansSerif (X11 Helvetica, Mac Lucida Grande) is already the
> default.
>
> I will change it again specifying 11 for Mac and 9 for X11. What is a good
> size for Windows?

For Windows I find that the default size is about right. I had noticed on
some computers that the Helvetica font coded into the Attribute Table was
not very good looking for some reason and was considering changing  it to
something else.

With r9160 the font size was too small, so I changed to the default size.

In main.cpp there is the line myApp.setFont(...) which has been commented
out. I experimented with setting the font for the application. I found that
most text elements used the application font setting, but some have specific
font coding. A quick look through many of of the dialogs showed that there
was only a few text entry boxes that might be too small in width at 14pt or
greater.

As I do computer user support for my day job I am aware that some users need
larger font sizes for more comfortable reading of the display. An
application-wide font setting would give users the ability to the set the
font to their liking.

I recommend that such a setting would initially be the platform's default as
Qt sets it. In addition all text elements in menus, dialogs and status bars
should use the application font, perhaps up- or down-sizing if appropriate,
unless there is a very good reason not to.

Steve