[Qgis-developer] Plugin tweaks

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:02:50 EST 2008

Nice!
> I might wrote some kind of plugin quality control tester to check for
> this. I'll also make it check that __init__.py supports the required
> methods, but at the moment I'm not sure what the complete set of
> required methods is...

As far as I know, the required methods are :

name
description
version
qgisMinimumVersion
classFactory

Borys probably knows better than anyone though...
>  Eventually (as I think Tim may have said before) this information
> ought to go in a config file rather than code. My plugins in SVN are
> currently adopting both approaches, by having a config file that is
> read by the code:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/bsrplugins/source/browse/trunk/clickfu/__init__.py
> http://code.google.com/p/bsrplugins/source/browse/trunk/clickfu/config.ini

This is a very nice idea, as it is also infinitely safer for the user in
the end as well. If the config file doesn't add up, no code is imported,
and no harm done ;-)
I assume you are thinking this might be a nice way to move towards an
R-like way of standardizing plugis, which ties in nicely with the
quality control testing you were suggesting above. I think this is a
great idea, and will likely give users more confidence in adding third
party plugins, and keep plugin developers honest ;-)

Nice work Barry, perhaps py-QGIS meeting on IRC is in order sometime in
the near future?

That's my two (euro) cents,

Carson