[Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0 Branched - please read to prepare for 1.0.0 release!

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Mon Dec 15 11:15:08 EST 2008

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:57:07 +0200
"Tim Sutton" <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks
>

> My apologies this email is rather long, but please take a read through
> and see if there is anything you can help with in terms of getting the
> release out.
>
> The march to 1.0 goes on. This morning I have branched QGIS 1.0.
>
> Because this is going to be a release that is maintained for a long
> time (at least 1 year), I'm doing things a little differently naming
> convention wise. The branch for version 1.0.x may be checked out at:
>
> svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/qgis/branches/Version-1_0
>
> The revision number of this branch is r9801.
>
> On Saturday 20 December I will tag this branch as Release-1_0_0 and
> put out a call for packaging based on that tag. Source bundle will
> also be based on that tag. Based on this timeline I will have the
> packages linked / uploaded to http://download.qgis.org for a release
> announcement around the 26 or 27 Dec (note I will be offline from
> 21-26 Dec).
>
> For the release the following items need to be addressed - it would be
> great if one of these is in your ability to do something about you can
> have a look:
>
> Translation of changelog:
> -------------------------
>
> I added the changelog to the about box etc. over the weekend.
> Unfortunately this will mean a few untranslated strings. If you are a
> translator and are able, it would be great to have these translated
> during this week. Please forward your .ts files to the community-team
> folks as usual.
>
> Sponsors:
> -------------
>
> We need to ensure any new sponsors have been added to SPONSORS in src.
> If you are a sponsor of QGIS, please contact use if your name is not
> mentioned in the help->about box and you would like it to be. Paolo
> can you follow up this item and check it off on the release checklist
> when you are done?
>
> Pending patches:
> -----------------
>
> If you have a patch pending that you feel should be in QGIS 1.0.0 and
> it hasn't made it, please contact Marco and ask him to evaluate it for
> inclusion into the release. Marco, can you apply any pending patches
> or mark them for a future release in the tracker, then check off the
> related item in the release checklist with your colour next to it?
>

> Visual changelog:
> -----------------
>
> Release team I have written up the visual changelog page but I need to
> have this reviewed by you (and anyone else interested), screenshots
> made, and any press release ready material made. Richard / Anne /
> Maning are you able to take a look please?
>
> Gary could you add that 'message from the project chair' to the front
> of the changelog as discussed on IRC?
>
> Web properties:
> ---------------
>
> Otto are we set for the test site to go live?

There are only 3 things left:

a) sponsoring page (http://qgis.osgeo.org/sponsoring.html)
Paolo will try to finish the sponsoring page (add all comments) - this is the
most important part that needs to be done.

b) plugin page (http://qgis.osgeo.org/download/plugins.html)
The plugin page is a bit tricky. I would like to have them automatically
updated/read from the relevant/official repositories and would be thankful if
someone can have a look here: http://qgis.osgeo.org/download/plugins.html

c) rss news feed page (http://qgis.osgeo.org/news.html)
There seems to be problem in joomla to show RSS feeds within an article. I don't
have a solution for that now, but will try to find one.

> If there is time it
> would be nice to get a web css guru to theme the download.qgis.org
> page to match the new qgis web site and send Gary the css etc
> (assumming Gary is willing and able to apply that).

what would we need here? I can provide the css files, but I don't know if I
will have enough time to do it. Shall I send it to Gary?

> The new QGIS community maps stuff is nearly finished, Carson and I will put
> the finishing touches to it during the course of this week.

yes, great.

> Documentation:
> --------------
>
> Otto, how are things looking in terms of getting the docs ready for
> end of December?
> It would be great to have them available with the release. I see you have
> been working away on them based on the svn commits coming in - is there
> anything the doc team needs that we can help with?

I am hopeful that we will have the english manual ready or at least a preview
version that needs a final review by native english speaking people. There are
still a few days left and we will work hard to finish it :).

btw: There are still 23 python plugins listed in the official QGIS repository.
Will we repository clean up this repository or are all plugins relevant and
working with 1.0.? We started with the ftools so far and would like to add more
to the manual, but we don't know which are working and relevant.

It would be very helpful to have a list of plugins here. And it would also be
good to know a little about the plugin strategy that we can add to the manual.

regards,
 Otto