[Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0.0 - Call for packaging

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Dec 20 15:41:46 EST 2008

Dear QGIS devs & packagers

--- Note to casual readers ---

Please do not pre-announce this release - give the packagers and release
team a chance to do their thing so that people hearing about the release
have a fair chance of finding a package, reading all our press material
etc.

--- End note ---

Today I have branched 1.0.0. It would be great if you can assist by
making packages for your preferred platform. The branch can be checked
out at:

svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/qgis/branches/Release-1_0_0 svn qgis-1.0.0

Please do not commit anything to the branch except packaging related
tweaks. Source packages will be made available shortly. The release
checklist at :

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ReleaseChecklist1.0.0

Has a list of people who have previously made packages. If you make a
package for 1.0.0 please be so kind as to add the url to that wiki page
in the section provided so that we can gather all the url packages in a
systematic way. If you are able to make packages for unlisted
platforms / distros please let me know so that we can avoid duplication
of effort.
I would like to make the release announcement around the 28th or 29th
Dec 2008, so it will be great to have as many packages as possible ready
by then.

SVN Unstable (Trunk) is open again for general commits.
SVN Stable (the 1.0.x branch) is open for minor tweaks and bug fixes
only. No new features should be added without prior consultation with
the developer list (but your request to add a new feature will probably
be refused).

Please not that we are aiming to do the next unstable (QGIS 1.1.0)
release within two months or so (timetable to be determined) and you
should not make any major feature changes without prior discussion with
PSC and Dev list.

Many thanks to all the developers, testers, bug fixers, bug reporters,
document writers, translators and users that help to make QGIS a
reality.

For a glimpse at just how much work has gone into this release (278
tickets closed!), head over to:

https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/milestone/Version%201.0.0

Best regards

 * QGIS programming services