[Qgis-developer] please help me write a QGIS-PostGIS GUI in Python

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Fri Feb 1 17:50:31 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> Thanks Barry. You are a patient man, really. I certainly
> underestimated
> how much work this would take. Seems I'll give in, at least for now.

I think you could approach this project differently. For one, you can
use
the connections stored in the user preferences and offer them up in your
own dialog. If you need to create a new connection, you could instruct
the
user to use the other PostGIS dialog, or you could implement your own
using the
.ui file for the add new connection dialog. Creating a new connection
amounts
to collecting the required parameters, optionally testing to see if
you can
connect, and storing them in the user's preferences.

You can save and restore settings using the QSettings object with
Python. The
"Zoom to Point" plugin does this---see it for an example.

By now you've realized you have to write your own code to manipulate
dialogs
and fetch/process user input. I'm working on a tutorial for writing a
plugin
but don't expect it to be done for a while.

-gary

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
-Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com