AW: [Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Hugentobler Marco marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 12 16:35:29 EST 2008

Hi Martin, Tim and others

In my opinion, the proposed design changes are very important and I would like to see them in 1.0. I think it is important that proper printing is possible in 1.0. Furthermore, the rendering context is also important for the possibility to stop map rendering for large datasets. As development is taking place in a branch, there should be no risk for 1.0 if it is not ready and tested in time (but I'm quite optimistic that it will be :-) ).

>> b) who is willing to work on this

> I will be happy to participate, don't know so far about others...

I'm also offering my help.

>> and about the fact that
>> Gavin may be off at sea, having set some contractors to work on
>> composer stuff.

>Hm, I didn't know anything about Gavin's plans for the map composer...
>is the coding already taking place or what's the phase?

Good to know Gavin plans to support the print composer development.
Actually one of my oncoming projects is also about improvements of the printing capabilities. I'm therefore very interested in a clean solution of the map composer's basic problems and of course I'm happy to help with coding and testing.

>> One important thing is to really try to consider render performance in
>> any redisign. QGIS has been steadily getting slower at rendering
>> vectors over the last few years and it would be good to try to address
>> this before 1.0 goes out.

>Yes I completely agree, I don't want to do any changes that would make
>QGIS slower.

This is a good point. So far I couldn't see any points in the current discussion that I would expect to have an impact on rendering performance (so no slowlyness by design).

Regards,
Marco

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Technical advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee