[Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:30:43 EST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 4:00 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My aplogies for writing general notes instead of adressing specific
> points....its late....
>
> Maybe its time to resurrect the rfc process we started on, get it
> properly planned and then do it. It would be nice to start by having a
> plain english (with simple diagrams) description of what is planned.

I completely agree with RFC process and will respect it. The problem I
see with RFCs is that they get nearly no feedback. Geometry handling
RFC which I've created several months ago got comments only from
Marco, voting has been postponed and then forgotten :-/ I'm wondering
what's the reason - is it written unclear? Or is that just lack of
time of others?

> It would be good also in the process to try to accommodate some kind
> of 'overpainting' technique so that we can better symbolise things
> like freeways  and other line over line type symbologies (beyond the
> simple line styles offered by Qt).

Yes, I've been thinking about that too...

> > Tim, as
> > release manager, would you mind preparing such thing? (e.g. what
> > releases are planned, when, and possibly what features should be
> > targeted)
>
> There is already a feature spec on the wiki.
>
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Features_For_QGIS_Version_1.0
>
> The spec should probably be revised at our next dev meeting as some
> things are probably no longer on the table. I think its futile for me
> to try to prescribe dates and scehdule for release of 1.0 and make a
> release programme for that without first getting some committment /
> buy in from developers to actually try to meet that date. If everyone
> agrees to  work hard to achieve 1.0 release by September I will draw
> up a release schedule accordingly, but otherwise I think its better to
> stick with the 2-month fixed interval release cycle that I have been
> trying to get into place and we declare 1.0 release at some
> unspecified point in the (hopefully 2008!) year.

Actually I was thinking more of a roadmap for near, middle and distant
future so that we know where we're heading to. Of course any dates
can't be assured but it's still interesting to put some estimations at
least. I'm more interested what should happen before releasing 1.0 and
after releasing 1.0...

Martin