towards qgis 1.0 (was:Re: [Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch)

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Feb 13 06:33:08 EST 2008

Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Martins python bindings in play. GRASS is problematic in this case in
> that it is a) incredibly difficult to package an application that
> makes use of some GIS functionality and then have to resolve all the
> packaging issues of bundling GRASS with it too, and b) the model of
> importing and exporting data to and from GRASS in order to perform
> analysis is onerous. There are many other reasons why I think its good
> for us to embark on implementing our own geoprocessing functionality
> (on top of GEOS etc where appropriate).

I generally agree with you. Please note, however, that converting vector
data into grass format is not always necessary, thanks to v.external. I
understand next grass should be able to do the same also with raster
(sort of r.external).
But of course having at least some geoprocessing would be nice, just do
not stop the path towards 1.0 because of this...
All the best.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc