[Qgis-developer] [info] openstreetmap shapefile data

kimaidou michael.douchin at laposte.net
Thu Jul 3 10:44:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 04:30:08AM -0700, kimaidou wrote:

> You say that the osm format is well documented. Why not creating a special
> wiki page on this topic ?

Yes, I will try to add my experience from OSM/Josm.
Where to host the page? Let's start!

Hummm, I tried to open a account on the qgis wiki, but could not create a
page... So if anyone knows how :D

> - provide some quick access list (2 levels : continent --> countries)

The server limits what the user can download at a time, forget to
download an entire country at once :-)

--> totally agree. So we should limit the size of the selected area

> * let the user select the features he wants to download (only primary
> road,
> only footpahs..)

I disagree. There is not an OSM "feature set", tags are free. You
just download object inside the BBOX and their tags.

--> Ok

> * transform the osm data into ogr format ?
> Q/R : - in which format : gml (well documented, xml), shapefile, kml ?)
> - Don't know how the geometries are managed under osm : simple and complex
> ones (polygon with holes, multigeom, etc.) --> Is there a total
> compatibility, or do we need to convert some geometries in others ?

Just points and lines (which are collection of points) with
attributes. The only problem I can foresee are "relations" which
essentialy are sets of objects (point and/or lines) with
attributes associated with the relation.

With relations we can handle several thigs, like a bounch of road
segments which share the road name (relation's attribute) but
have different speed limit (line's attribute), etc.

--> not a qgis export either, I let core developper answer this.

I google a bit and search the openstreetmap mailing list, and saw that a lot
of exporting tools has been developed, or are in developement :
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/

So we must reuse this tools (eg osm2kml.py) / adapt them.

Paolo, could you please create a page in qgis wiki related to that topic ? I
we go on like this, we will loose important remarks. (Sorry I did not
succeed)

Michael