[Qgis-developer] Grass toolbox cleanup round 2

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 14 19:46:29 EDT 2008

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi Folks (esp grass users)
>
> I'm doing a second round of cleanups to the grass toolbox usability
> issues and to do away with some of the bugs in trac. I'd like to
> propose to do :
>
>  - make the modules list a dockwidget (see
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2668750983/ and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2668750977/in/photostream/)
>  - do away with the tree view altogether
>  - give the grass console its own icon on the grass toolbar and remove
> from the module list
>  - make grass tools pop up in their own window
>  - make the grass browser its own window with its own toolbar icon.
>  - make the grass tool window scrollable when it has long lists of options
>
> Any comments?
>
> regards

Make the grass console respect copy and paste.

On the bottom of each tool when open, put a box that shows the grass
code that's going to be executed based on selections made on the page.
Allow typing in this box to add command modifiers not available via the
dialogs.

With the new search tool can you search the descriptions, what about the
text the full help files in case you have no idea what you're looking for?

Can you also make the grass browser it's own dockwidget or window, it's
a necessary tool that makes managing grass layers much easier and is a
much faster way to view layer metadata before adding it to the map which
can prevent you from adding the wrong gigantic layer to the map and then
waiting 5 min to figure out it was the wrong one. (Brings up the idea of
some tool that is similar to ArcCatalog for managing spatial data.)

I'll go read over the trac tickets before I speculate more.

Thanks,
Alex