[Qgis-developer] grass, win package etc.

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Jul 17 16:53:32 EDT 2008

Hi

2008/7/17 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
> Hi all.
> I have seen http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/changeset/8798 : I think these
> are very minor changes, with no potential fro breaking up other stuff,
> but they are important for GRASS users. I know 0.11 is superfrozen now,
> but may I ask to backport it to it anyway?

We should rather release 0.11.1 - changing the source after we send
out the call for packaging is a bad idea - for one thing we'll never
know what people actually had on their system when they report bugs
etc.

In my opinion we should also change the grass modules approach to be
more like qgis plugins - with an online repository that users can
dynamically update modules. Release versions can give a current set of
modules and the user can mask them with newer versions in their home
dir. This is especially in the light of the fact that modules are
dynamic and require no compilation, we may as well take advantage of
Radims great approach to GRASS tools. Something to think about for the
future....

Alternatively how about a
> 0.11.1 release?

Yes we can do this but lets get 0.11.0 out first. But it should be off
the same 0.11.0 branch and only backport selectively things to go into
it.

 Even if 1.0 is planned to be released really soon, the
> many bugs, plus the major branch merges (new printing is going to be in
> 1.0, right?) may delay it for a few months.

> I noticed Marco Pasetti is not in the dev list: I think this must be
> corrected for 0.11: his work is being precious for all those poor guys
> having to deal with the infamous operating system.

Which dev list? We actually need a maintainer for the dev and sponsors
list - I think I 'volunteered you' for the SPONSORS list recently in a
mail about the release checklist, I will try to get one of our release
team folks to look after the dev and contributors lists too.

Regards

Tim