[Qgis-developer] Grass toolbox cleanup round 2

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 04:04:47 EDT 2008

Tim Sutton wrote:
> I'm doing a second round of cleanups to the grass toolbox usability
> issues and to do away with some of the bugs in trac. I'd like to
> propose to do :

UI changes often need to be experienced before comments can be made. Since things are starting to happen in the grass branch, I now have some comments.

>  - make the modules list a dockwidget (see
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2668750983/ and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/2668750977/in/photostream/)

Since a detached dock can't be pushed behind another window, it's size should be closer to a toolbar rather then a window. The icons and explanation box should be optional so that the dock can show just the module names; essentially it would be a text toolbar of module names.

If there is some way to detatch it as a regular window, the current layout is fine. If not, I prefer either a minimalist dock of module names or the current design where the Toolbox command crates a regular window.

>  - do away with the tree view altogether

I like hierarchy though I'm not sure I need the current tree view. Using the dots in the module names might be good enough to create a tree. I prefer the tree over the filter because I prefer to explore by mouse rather then keyboard.

>  - give the grass console its own icon on the grass toolbar and remove
> from the module list

This is ok. Right now the console is appearing as a dock which is not ok. The console should be in a window which can be pushed behind.

>  - make grass tools pop up in their own window
>  - make the grass browser its own window with its own toolbar icon.
>  - make the grass tool window scrollable when it has long lists of options

ok as long as these are real windows and not docks.

> Any comments?

In general, putting things into separate windows is fine. Too many docks however feel like popup advertisements in browsers. They steal or cover map space and you have to actively work to keep them out of the way.

My preferred work style is to have a variety of windows mostly behind my main window. They stick out of all sides somewhat like tabs. I click a window to bring it forward, do something, and send it behind again.

Docks vs windows, trees vs. filters, tabs in windows vs. multiple windows. Different folk have different preferences. Rather then having to choose, we should investigate how to provide both. Perhaps I'm reacting too soon but the dock approach doesn't feel right for me.

Tom