[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] printing with metis?

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 04:53:05 EDT 2008

Hi all,

> in the print-composer you have to press "add a new map", then draw a
> square
> with your mouse on the canvas in the size you want to have the active view
> in
> the map-composer displayed and then press the button "add a new map"
> again.

as I pointed out some time ago (see http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1092),
the Map Composer is not actually very intuitive;
the bug reported in #1092 is very similar to the Tara's one, and in fact
it's not a bug (because the Map Composer works fine), but it's due to a not
intuitive usage of the tool; that's what I suggested replying to #1092:

The only things that we should probably add [to the Map Composer Tool] are:

1. let user resize the objects using the mouse pointer (such as in AutoCAD
layout composer)

2. show an info label function on-mouse-over the objects, showing out their
names (such as "Map1", and so on...); it would be very useful if you are
creating a map layout with multiple map tiles

I don't know what Marco is doing with the new Map Composer; but I think that
we (he) should take in mind that the usability is the firt real problem for
the actual Map Composer Tool, and we should first fix that problem before to
add new features to the new tool to come

Regards,

Marco