[Qgis-developer] Colour chooser and basic colours

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Jun 4 12:19:01 EDT 2008

Hi Sidonie

Those colours you refer to are obtained from the windows system. If
you run QGIS under mac os x you do not have such a 'base colours'
pallette at all. There are other areas where we used developer defined
colours such as the 'pseudocolor' renderer for grayscale rasters an
ramped colours for 'continuous color' vector symbolisation. In the
case of seudocolor render for raster, my choice of pallette was
determined by the desire to have a representation that was useful for
illustrating probability distribution maps for species. Marco
Hugentobler can probably comment on the colour choices for vector
symbologies.

One final thing to add is that in QGIS 2.0 one of the things I would
like to do is support popular open mapping pallettes such as:

http://sview01.wiredworkplace.net/pub/cpt-city/

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/it/howto/GMT/CPT/

Hope that at least partially answers your question...

Regards

Tim