[Qgis-developer] script to update the srs.db

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 11 09:10:31 EDT 2008

Hi Maciej,
sorry for my late and lengthy reply, I missed this thread...
but:

NICE !!!
This is the way to go for maintaining the srs.db.

I tried your script and I am able to generate a new srs.db with it (for
what I can see...  working with qgis).

I cc Frank Warmerdam, hopefully he can add some expert judgement to my
comments ...

I hope other people can do more projection related testing. Or somebody
can sent me some tests how to do some thorough projection testing.

I ran your scripts on a debian etch box.
I build the srs.db with SQLite Administrator on Windows.

Some (maybe not so helpfull remarks):

- I had to change some lines because calling epsg_tr.py at my machine
resulted in a file not found error. Calling it via `python epsg_tr.py'
fixed that for me

- there were some errors like:
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 2218 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid EPSG coordinate system?
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 2221 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid EPSG coordinate system?
ERROR 6: No translation for Tunisia_Mining_Grid to PROJ.4 format is known.
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 32600 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid EPSG coordinate system?
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 32700 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid EPSG coordinate system?

but after that all is running fine as a qgis srs.db

Except that in my (windows) qgis I do not see any Geographic Coordinate
Systems. These are also not in the view. So epsg:4326 is missing for
example..?.. Never mind, I see your problem 2 now

- epsg 31254 (which Marco H asked me to add to srs.db) is now in it
- tbl_ellipsoid contains 42 records now (42 in the old also)
- tbl_projection contains 125 records now (vs 123 in the old one)
- tbl_srs contains 3519 records now (vs 2690 in the old one)
- vw_srs conains 3105 records (vs 2690 in the old one)

My 1 cent about your 'problems':

-1- working with epsg instead of qgis_id looks logical for me, but I do
not know the implications for such a decision.

-2- I would say change it in the local epsg_tr.py for now, until it is
changed in the epsg_tr.py script itself (or made an option in there?)

-3- these bugs seem to be squashed already

So my conclusion after some limited testing:
- good job
- we should use this script to generate the srs.db with every release
- if everybody agrees Maciej can close some bugs :-)
- can we do some more thorough testing? (though I think Maciej is one of
the most critic users/testers of srs.db)
- we should make a SrsDb-wiki-page in which we describe why we do this
this way, and how to do it. Maciej can you do this? Please let people
add some tests to it too.

One question: is / should it be possible to add this all to the
epsg_tr.py script, as a new --qgis option or so? Or do we really need
this two-step process.

Maciej, THANKS for you work!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde