[Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 1 11:29:26 EST 2008

Hi Martin and others,

I'd like to come back to the composer redesign idea. I'd prefer to do the
redesign in steps, so not all three things at once. Just because it's easier
to get started and more motivating if the changes can be merged back to trunk
soon. As you already wrote, the first step (map rendering context) would be
basically a rearrangement of arguments. And in my opinion, it could already
solve some of the most basic problems:

-possibility to stop map rendering
-difference between resolution of output device could be a member of map
rendering context (e.g. ratio of resolution between screen and current device
in x- and y- direction)

> - improve renderers' interface so that renderer itself will do the
> drawing (instead of letting QgsVectorLayer do the real drawing). This
> will help renderer to decide whether to draw and cache pixmaps
> depending on the rendering context (i.e. drawing to a pixmap or
> drawing to vector output). Moreover this will enable clean
> implementation of advanced renderers like drawing arrows etc.

I like this too. As I see it, it would involve many changes to all the
renderer classes, the dialogs and also the project file. Would you mind if we
do these changes in the longer term, or at least after step1 has been merged
to trunk?

>- separate map composer frontend and backend, so the backend will be
>moved to core library and could be used in plugins / 3rd party apps

I also like this idea. What functionality of the print composer would you like
to see in core?
The composer (or parts of it) could also be moved to gui such that plugins
have access to the composer dialog (or to parts of it).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler