[Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:59:34 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Steven Bell <botsnlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I hope this makes sense.  Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
>  Steven

Actually I must admit I'm a bit lost in all the resultions, scales,
units, transformations etc :-/
Probably I should read some kind of printing primer... Or if you can
show me the difference between drawing to screen and drawing to
printer / PDF - i.e. what further scaling is applied.

If I understand it correctly, we should allow symbol size, font size
and line widths to be specified in several unit types (pixels /
milimeters / inches / points / more?). From these sizes the composer
(or map renderer) will be able to calculate the actual sizes for the
output device. Does this mean that we can skip those symbol, line and
font scales that are currently in composer?

Moreover, in composer you have to specify resolution in DPI, but does
this matter if we do vector output?

Well, maybe I have more questions, but I need to sort the ideas in my head :-)

Regards
Martin