[Qgis-developer] Merging the C_API branch

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 14 12:58:22 EDT 2008

Frank,

I understand your points to some extent. There are things that didn't went
well and can be improved.

Note the branching and merging is only for larger changes or changes that
affect a lot of other code. If you do some changes in the raster part of QGIS
and it is ok with Peter (as he is the raster maintainer), then no problem to
commit it directly to svn.

Even though branching and merging may cause some inconvenience, I still think
it is crucial to maintain basic code stability. In the case of the C-Api
branch, testing revealed 4 bugs that would have been much harder to detect
without branching. And this is a very low number, usually changes like this
introduce more bugs.
I remember the times before the branching and merging process, and the
stability problems then were also putting off some contributors and prevented
a lot of users from using the software.

> > In my opinion, the "branch for changes then merge" process has increased
> > the stability of the qgis code considerably and also the release interval
> > is much better because of this process (was >1 year before).
>
> If it is the best strategy for the project, then by all means continue.
> But be aware that the approach is off putting to at least some
> contributors.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve development. QGIS is a democratic
project and development practices can be discussed and adapted if a majority
of developers are in favour of it.

Regards and thanks again for your work,
Marco

--