[Qgis-developer] icons

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 25 05:50:46 EDT 2008

Hi Paolo

Conceptually it could be interesting to come up with a unified icon
standard. However i have two contra arguments to that:

- icons are a useful differentiator for an application - i think its
good for people to know they are in qgis because of its distinctive
look and feel
- I dont think the new icons you refer to present much usability
improvement over previous efforts. In most cases I couldnt tell at a
glance what the icons were for, the style of the icons were visually
inconsistent (some are wire frame X with an icon overlaid, while
others are nice thick bold arrows), and I wasnt mad about the muted
colour pallette.

Hope that didnt come across as too harsh - no doubt there are
criticisms that can be made of QGIS icons which I will happily try to
address if anyone has issues.

On a more compromising note, QGIS has icon theme support and it would
would be great to include a GRASS style theme for those who prefer a
unified look.

Regards

Tim