[Qgis-developer] Qwt widgets in Qgis

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:16:39 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>
>   but if I try that from the QGis Python console (actually, just the
>  last three lines, don't do QApplication() from the console), Qgis
>  crashes out when I call QwtPlot() to instantiate a plot object.
>
>   There's some differences: my command-line python is 2.5.1 and my qgis
>  python is 2.5.2. Versions of Qwt5 are the same (5.0.2) and my pythons
>  are getting Qwt5 from the right places - Qgis gets it from its python
>  folder, and command-line python gets it from C:\\Python25\\blahblabla.

No idea what can cause the crash. The difference between python
versions shouldn't matter as they should maintain binary
compatibility. I don't fully track how QGIS currently gets packaged on
windows, but can't be the problem caused by the fact that PyQt4 gets
recompiled using MinGW (prior to packaging) while Qwt is still
compiled with MSVC ?

>   Does this happen to anyone else on this or other platforms?  And also,
>  is there a guarantee that Qwt will be available in Qgis releases?  It
>  does look handy for scientific applications - not just the plots, there
>  are some useful widgets in there too (floating point sliders ftw!).

Don't know why Qwt is included in that package, I don't think it will
be included on other platforms.

Martin