[Qgis-developer] Re: ideas for developpers

Carson Farmer cfarmer at uvic.ca
Thu May 15 17:49:13 EDT 2008

Sebastien Vial wrote:

> And now, some ideas :
> * for plugin developpers with time : (I'm a gis teacher, but with no
> time and no python capacities... I'm trying to discover this
> interesting programming language)
> - join by attribute : join all the objets with the same attributes
> (the opposite of the split by attributes) ; used to merge some
> polygons with the same value in a column attribute
I'll try to add this to fTools (see below)
> - simplify vector layer according to the scale ; there exists a python
> script - in the gdal package for python- whose name is simplify.py
> that does it... and a postgis script
> http://www.bostongis.com/postgis_simplify.snippet
>
> * Wouldn't it be interesting to organize (at least a little) the
> plugin menu ? mine begins to be very... large ! For exemple, we could
> organize like
> - vector objects oriented plugins
> - database oriented plugins
> - raster oriented
> - import/export
> - selecting
> - statistics...
Most of my plugins (from the cfarmer repository) will soon be available
as part of a single plugin menu (fTools) that gets added to the QGIS
menu list (next to help). This should reduce the clutter on the plugins
toolbar. Other than this, the above idea would certainly make it easier
to find that plugins that you're looking for when you need them. This
way users could (for example) opt to only have the 'vector based
plugins' menu showing when working strictly with vector data.

> * and about the plugin manager : adding a column to know the installed
> version of the plugin (like some linux package manager), in order to
> compare the version number, and to know if the plugin needs to be
> re-installed --- and perhaps a warning when there is a new version of
> a plugin
This is also a good idea, and discussions regarding this and other
aspects of plugin dependencies have been discussed on the qgis-developer
list (See the comments from Barry Rowlingson and Volkan Kepoglu from
around the 13th and 14th)

> Many thanks in advance !!
>
> I'm writing docs on qgis use (and the plugins !!)  for my students,
> but there will be in FRENCH !!!
I would be interested in seeing these docs when you're done!

Cheers,

Carson