[Qgis-developer] Mac Use of QFileDialog

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat May 17 00:07:44 EDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> I am starting a new thread for the Mac QFileDialog discussion. The
> original message is below.
>
> There are two issues raised by this discussion:
> 1. Bugs and deficiencies in QFileDialog.
> 2. Should qgis be using QFileDialog or native Mac dialogs.
>
> QFileDialog is not including /Volumes in its left sidebar. This
> appears to be a Qt bug which I will report. I will suggest that they
> approximate the sidebar of a native file dialog as much as possible
> but definitely show all volumes. Under /Computer I see /dev/fd. It
> doesn't show anything useful but perhaps is supposed to show volumes.

Thanks for the explanation of this - I kinda figured it was a Qt
deficiency.

> This technique is quite common, especially among applications that
> try to preserve the look-and-feel of each platform. Personally, I
> believe that about 15 to 30 percent of gui code should be platform-
> specific in order to avoid the disorientation that occurs when using
> 'alien' gui components.
>
> Implementing a Mac file dialog with the relatively minor additions
> that we add is not a big deal. I'm even willing to do this at some
> point. Right now, however, there are a few other Mac gui quirks that
> bother me more such the lack of a menu bar in Print Composer and the
> Attribute Table editor. An Edit menu should also be present and the
> overall menu organization could be improved but this is a topic for
> another message.
>
> How do other Mac users feel about native vs Qt file dialogs? I
> prefer native but rate it a medium rather than high priority.

Native for me.  I usually stall a second or two to remember how to
navigate.

If it isn't too much trouble, and you think it won't be difficult to
maintain in the future, I'd say go for it.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy