[Qgis-developer] Developer/contributor requirements

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 20 10:57:31 EDT 2008

Gary Sherman wrote:
> Developers and contributors:
>
> As part of the incubation process for OSGeo we formalized our procedures
> for developers with commit access and for contributors who submit patches.
>
> Please take a look at:
>
>   http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ContributorGuidelines

Gary,

I'm afraid I'm not willing to read all the materials referenced from the
DevelopersCorner, so I guess I'll have to certify I'm not complying with
the contributor guidelines.  There is a lot of material which is fantastic.
But requiring any contributor to have read it all (especially with it
presumably evolving constantly) is a high bar to set.

I also think that only points (3) and (4) ought to be all that is required
of folks providing patches.  It should then be up to a commiter to ensure
that other expectations are being satisfied.  Patches are basically the
"path to contribution" for those who are less fully emersed in the project
than full commiters (IMHO) and the bar should not be set too high in this
case.  Basically just ensure the contributed code is legitimately
contributed, and *encourage* patch submiters to read the general developer
material.

Best regards,