[Qgis-developer] Re: ideas for developpers (The Plugins menu)

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Tue May 20 10:50:39 EDT 2008

Hello Everybody,
I guess it's my first post on this group, but (unfortunately;) ) some of you
know me from the QGis-users list.

> Wouldn't it be interesting to organize (at least a little) the plugin menu?
> mine begins to be very... large !

I've started to write a simple plugin which helps to organize python plugins
(by modyfying their codes) in menus and toolboxes. However, such
personalization is not the way. I agree, we should elaborate the rules for
plugin developers.

In these days I'm working on a few plugins for creating profiles, table
management and various conversions (just a frontend for GDAL) and I have big
troubles, where to locate them all. ;) So probably I'll decide to add three
submenus: "Profiles", "Tables" and "Conversions". The mess will be bigger.
Also the plugin toolbox should be disintegrated, but not without relation to
the menu structure.

I suppose a few standard submenus with separate toolboxes are necessary.

> * and about the plugin manager : adding a column to know the installed
> version of the plugin (like some linux package manager), in order to
> compare the version number, and to know if the plugin needs to be
> re-installed --- and perhaps a warning when there is a new version of a
> plugin

I guess you mean the Plugin Installer, not Manager, however this would be a
great improvement. Is somewhere here the Author (Matthew Perry)? ;) In the
future, the Installer might be included to the Manager.

Cheers,
Borys