[Qgis-developer] new C++ plugin

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Nov 1 05:41:40 EDT 2008

2008/11/1 Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info>:

> It adds two simple instruments, one tool is used to open the
> coordinates of the click in Google Maps and other tool gets and open a
> geometry from active layer in Google Earth. It is a handy tool for
> quickly sending stuff from QGIS to GE, we're using ourselves quite a
> bit.

 I would definitely look into developing plugins in Python and not
C++. The development cycle (edit/compile/test) is much quicker, and
cross-platform issues fewer. You don't have to distribute binaries for
different platforms either - Python code should run on all platforms.
Testing and debugging should be easier too. Also there's the existing
infrastructure for Python plugin distribution via the repository
system.

 You can do all the Qt4 stuff from Python and when you install the
ogr/gdal package for Python you can do OGR stuff as well.

 Anyway, just a thought! C++ has its place of course, and if you know
nothing about Python then there's an initial investment needed there.
But I think it's worth! :)

 If I get a spare couple of hours this weekend I might convert your
plugins to Python...

Barry