[Qgis-developer] Time for 1.0 API freeze

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Nov 18 11:45:02 EST 2008


On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 16:03 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> I've been doing some tweaks only when I stumble across something, but
> nothing really systematical. I think we can put a fixed date for API
> freeze, let's say November 20th?

From the PSC meeting we will temporarily unfreeze trunk to allow
improved labelling to be added, so I will hold on for API freeze until
after that - feel free to tweak on if you spot inconistencies in the
mean time!

> I've been thinking also about more complex changes in QGIS v1.x
> without breaking API. My idea is that if we do some BIG changes, the
> resulting class can be named differently, e.g. with "Qgs2" prefix and
> older class can be implemented using this new class. With this
> approach we can do bigger enhancements in core/gui libraries without
> breaking API.

Yes this is one strategy we can follow.

> What do others think about this policy?

http://sourcemaking.com/refactoring has many other useful patterns for
dealing with API changes.


Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming services
 * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
 * FOSS Consulting & Support Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/attachments/20081118/3fac4876/attachment.bin

More information about the Qgis-developer mailing list