[Qgis-developer] Mrsid business

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 2 02:47:46 EDT 2009

Hi Alex,

Thanks for clarification.

I had a look at the LizardTech webpage
(http://www.lizardtech.com/download/) and couldn't find a source code
release to download and compile for gdal support. Would I have to download
a SDK (requires registration first?)

Does it also properly support 64bit Linux?

The problem with many of those free/but closed source apps is that they
usually only support mainstream platforms (usually 32 bit Intel Linux) -
they wouldn't support PowerPC/ARM, 64 bit/AMD Linux support. For the same
reason I don't like Flash and Acrobat. They usually also support only
mainstream platforms.

Andreas

On Thu, April 2, 2009 6:14 am, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Reading threw several threads it kept coming up and I thought I'd try to
> clarify from what I know.
>
> MrSID is free to use, as with many linux distro's it's not part of the
> defualt build of say gdal because it's not open source. But it is indeed
> free just like acrobat or flash or an of those "non-free" apps.
> This is what I understand from listening to MPG who I believe works for
> lizardtech (which is an OSGeo sponsor).
>
> Maybe we can offer up a 2nd build via launchpad for the "non-free"
> version of gdal build with support turned on.
>
> Alex

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/