[Qgis-developer] Application of QGIS to

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Apr 17 17:31:10 EDT 2009

Hi Tom

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> Tom Maddock wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are newcomers to QGIS and are trying to evaluate its suitability
>> for application to some ecological programs we have developed.  I am
>> not sure we are in the proper forum for our questions, which are many,
>> but here is a start.
>>
>> We have developed an ArcGIS 9.2 custom application in VB 2005, .NET
>> framework 2.0 to derive parameters for the riparian evapotranspiration
>> package in MODFLOW and visualize MODFLOW groundwater results. We are
>> considering using QGIS to perform the geo-processing component of our
>> program instead of using the ESRI product.  It should be noted that
>> MODFLOW is a FORTRAN-90 product (yes, some people still use FORTRAN),
>> and is used to solve the groundwater flow equations.
>>
>> We would like to know if QGIS provides some of the out of the box
>> geo-processing components such as overlay analysis and zonal
>> statistics similar to ArcGIS.
>>
>> Here is the list of geo-processing tasks that we perform in our program:
>>
>>     * Attributing vegetation polygon shapefile interactively by
>>       selecting polygons and enter % cover values on a form
>> ./acda/Acda en de Munnik - Trilogie Deel I Zwerf'on/Mp3/Acda en de
>> Munnik - 10 - Dag Esmee.mp3
>>

>>     * Creating finite difference grid as a polygon shapefile in order to
>>       support irregular grid sizes
>>
>>     * Intersecting vegetation polygon shapefile with the finite
>>       difference grid shapefile and updating areas of the polygons
>>
>>     * Obtaining average surface elevation per riparian polygon derived
>>       from (DEM) and write it to vegetation polygon shapefile
>>
>>     * Access each record in the attribute table and write values in a
>>       text file with specific format.
>>
>> Couple of questions:
>>
>>     * Is there a support for relational database management such as join
>>       and relates?
>>
>>     * What are the supporting programming languages and can we re-use
>>       some of the components that are already written in VB .NET in the
>>       project?
>>
>> Thomas Maddock III
>> Professor and Head
>> Department of Hydrology & Water Resources
>> University of Arizona
>> 1133 E. James E. Rogers Way, Rm. 122
>> Tucson, Arizona  85721
>> (520)621-7120
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> I think you should try to ask this in the qgis-users list. I will
> forward this message to it ..
>
> Short answers of some things I know:
>
> - postgresql/postgis is a relational database which can be used with
> qgis which I think can do what you want.
>
> - though qgis is written in c++/qt, there is a very nice python-plugin
> interface which can be used to write extensions
>
> - most dataformats are both readable and writable
>
> - qgis can be used as frontend of GRASS a (from what I've heard) a
> pretty powerfull opensource gis
>
> Hope this helps a little, and maybe other people on the users list can
> [...]

Tom in general most of your requirements are met, some directly from
QGIS's C++ or Python api and others from the underlying libraries that
we use (gdal / ogr etc).

I can tell you that there is a *HUGE* thirst for ecological modelling
and conservation management tools based on QGIS and porting your tools
to QGIS would be exceptionally well received in third world countries
where managers and ecologists generally cant afford the extortionate (by
third world standards anyway) prices ESRI demand for their software.

Regards

- --

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services