[Qgis-developer] The plain keys for shortcuts

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 05:48:38 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Installed Daphnis from osgeo4w... what my eyes can see... no more
one-finger-shortcuts? I liked them :)
I think most users did. Unfortunatelly the new ones doesn't go well on
windows...

2009/8/18 John C. Tull <john.tull at wildnevada.org>:
> On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:
>
>> Dnia wtorek, 18 sierpnia 2009 o 17:34:24 napisałeś:
>>>
>>> Perhaps an option to turn off control key modifiers. A lack of
>>> modifier is non-conventional to most people and it breaks OS X. As a
>>> choice, that seems reasonable.
>>
>> Turning off modifiers would be hard to implement while the shortcuts are
>> configurable... Rather something like the mentioned profiles - it sounds
>> best
>> for me.
>>
>> I know it's non-conventional for many people, but it's also inconvenient
>> for
>> many others. Personally I can't imagine myself using two fingers for

It is not two fingers, Borys, it is already three! Ctrl+Shift+something

As a windows user I need to remind you (developers) that combination
Ctrl+Shift is a little bit dangerous cause it changes the keyboard
settings (at least in Poland), so instead of "x" users will get "z"
and might go dizzy. It is all because of diacritics, I must admit. Our
fault. But we really need them :)

>> adding a
>> layer or doing other common tasks;) The same with other 'one-finger'
>> applications, as kmail, where I'm writing from. I understand Mac users are
>> irritated having to adjust the shortcuts to run Grass console, but now
>> many
>> (maybe more) other users, as me, will have do the same in order to get an
>> convenient environment :)
>>
>> I believe we should either implement shortcuts profiles or at least ask
>> users
>> for a voting (both are infeasible before the release). The main problem is
>> that if we drop the one-finger shortcuts and update the documentation now,
>> reverting this change in the future will look strange ;) So for me doing
>> it
>> just before the release is not a good idea...
>>
>> Anyone else is interested? :)
>>
>> B.
>
> I would just say that having a default setup that breaks functionality for a
> key component of qgis (grass interaction) on one of the supported OS's is a
> bad idea. Better to let people change the shortcuts to their preference
> while providing all functionality to all users.

I use Mac too, but still adjusting QGIS to one platform shouldn't make
inconvenience to users of other platform.

Before we think of other shortcut combination, having in mind short
release of Daphnis and documentation issues, I would opt for reverting
short shortcuts for now.

Best,
Milena