[Qgis-developer] Raster based terrain analysis with QGIS

Hugentobler Marco marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 21 16:13:57 EDT 2009

Hi QGIS devs

I'd like to announce the QGIS raster terrain plugin. It calculates slope, exposition, ruggedness and total curvature based on a 3*3 window for each cell of a raster. The plugin keeps attention that only three raster rows are in virtual memory at a time, so it is also possible to process large rasters.
If you like to test the plugin, you find the source on:
http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/raster_terrain_analysis.tgz
Just unzip it in the src/plugins directory and add 'raster_terrain_analysis' as a new subdirectory in src/plugins/CMakeList:

SUBDIRS (copyright_label
  delimited_text
  interpolation
  north_arrow
  scale_bar
  oracle_raster
  raster_terrain_analysis
  )

Note that the code is not well tested yet, so drop me a mail if a result seems strange or you have other comments / suggestions / code improvements.

I thought that this plugin could ev. go into the upcoming analysis library of QGIS. Btw. are there any objections on merging the branch with the analysis library after the release of 1.2 and using the library for the interpolation and raster terrain plugin? fTools will come later I think as it probably is a lot of work to port the python code to C++...

Regards,
Marco