[Qgis-developer] table join

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:39:24 EST 2009

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Marco Hugentobler <marco at hugis.net> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Isn't it much redesign work to make a model class out of QgsVectorLayer?
>
> Although I havent looked at the code too much, I recall Martins table
> updates wrapped providers in a model. I was thinking we could use the
> same approach and then select the joined records dynamically as each
> model page is accessed....it was just a thought anyway....

Hi Tim

I think the model/view approach is only appropriate when going to use
some of the Qt view classes. For the rest of the uses I don't see any
benefits.

As Marco has written, a way to achieve table joins will be to
transparently add further fields when iterating the vector layer. But
first of all we need some support for tables - basically it's the same
data type like vector layer but doesn't include a geometry, only
attributes. With ability to open and work with separate attribute
tables, we're half done (IMHO).

Martin