[Qgis-developer] Re: Composer legend labels

Marco Hugentobler marco at hugis.net
Wed Dec 23 10:07:57 EST 2009

Hi John

Nice to hear you are enjoying the print composer.

> Another legend consideration: Layer items are shown with the layer title
>  above the vector/raster symbol. It would be nice if layer titles could be
>  placed directly to the right of the vector symbol with a user-configurable
>  option. This makes the most sense for single symbol vector layers, but no
>  sense for categorized layers. The legend would need to be smart enough to
>  distinguish between the two and label accordingly.

For single symbol layers, it is already possible to place the layer title next
to the symbol. Just enter the layer name to the symbol item and remove the
layer level string. Then the layer item will disappear.

> I really love the way text is automatically wrapped for text labels. It
>  would be very useful if legend text items would similarly wrap when
>  adjusting the width of the legend. I don't know if this is something that
>  can be readily accomplished or not, but it would be helpful.

This is a good idea. It would however need a bit extension to the legend item
to change it to a table structure where the user may resize the columns and
rows.

> An additional text box enhancement would be to allow user-selectable
>  justification of text. Options for both horizontal and vertical alignment
>  would be ideal. Vertical: top, bottom, center of text box. Horizontal:
>  left, right, center justified.

True, this would be very usefull and could be added easily (since QPainter
provides all the necessary options). So once the feature freeze is over...

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler