[Qgis-developer] Legend vs. Layers

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 12:21:12 EST 2009

2009/2/5 Carson J.Q. Farmer <Carson.Farmer at nuim.ie>:
> Hi list,
>
> I am wondering what the policy is on naming conventions in terms of tools,
> the QGIS interface, and map items. For example:
> I suggest that the text 'Legend' above the layer list should be changed to
> 'Layers'. Technically this isn't a legend: "A map legend can be defined as
> the reference area on a map that lists and explains the colours, symbols,
> line patterns, shadings, and annotation used on the map." The legend of
> course, it what we add to the map in the map composer, but what we are
> currently calling the legend is, in actual fact, simply a list of layers .
>
> I know this is really just a matter of semantics, but it has been mentioned
> before, and I think it's important to get these things right ;-)

 Last time we had this discussion Tim suggested we open a Trac item. I
just had a few general enhancement ideas which didn't seem suited to
trac items at the time, including rearranging menus and getting rid of
other bits of UI clutter.

 Howabout we have a qgis-enhancements-discussion wiki page or forum
post that can feed items into Trac once they get enough +1s.?

Barry