[Qgis-developer] Legend vs. Layers

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 07:02:04 EST 2009

2009/2/6 Düster Horst <Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch>:
> Carson
>
> In principle I aggree, but I think "Table of Content" may be is a better choice than Layers.

 Given that the only things that can be in that dialog are map layers
then I think currently the term 'Layers' is the best word we've got
for it.

 However if other content types can be added to a project then perhaps
that dialog should be titled 'Contents' or 'Project Contents'. By
"other content types" I'm thinking non-spatial graphics (such as fixed
overlays like the copyright, scale, or north-arrow items) or even
non-spatial data. Maybe one day Qgis will be able to look at
non-spatial database tables and link them with spatial data
dynamically, or have basic table editing functions on non-spatial
grids (like the attribute editor).

 Then I think the 'Project Contents' dialog would have a tree with
'Layers', 'Annotations', 'Data' items. And maybe more. I'd like to
keep working notes with my project file, so maybe there could be a
'Documentation' item for adding text files, or web links, or a full
set of wiki pages....

 Have I totally flown off the handle now?

Barry