AW: [Qgis-developer] Legend vs. Layers

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:40:43 EST 2009

Hi Marco,
> Hi Carson
>
> I think the legend is more than a layer list because it shows e.g. the classifications of vector layers using classification attribute, symbols for the individual classes and their values. For me that already explains something about the 'colours, symbols, line patterns used on the map' and about their semantics.
>
> I don't care too much about the label of the legend, so no problem for me if you want to change it to 'Layers' or 'Layer list'. I just don't think it is usefull to rename all the legend classes in QGIS (e.g. QgsLegendLayer -> QgsLayerListLayer ).

I agree, renaming all the classes would be a nightmare, and I don't want
that on my conscience, the only thing that would be changed here is the
label. The reason for this is really interoperability: most other GIS
(open-source and otherwise) have this area on the interface labeled
'Layers', including ArcGIS, from which many potential QGIS users would
be migrating...

Just my two cents...

Carson