[Qgis-developer] OSM intergration: first public release

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Sat Feb 7 18:45:54 EST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Martin Dobias wrote:

> I would consider this as alpha release, but it should be already
> usable for some basic usage.
>
> Any testing and comments are highly welcome!

Martin,

Another great addition! This is already quite useful.

Some quick thoughts after a brief test.

1) It would be nice to have the option to automatically load a
retrieved osm file when using the download feature.
2) The loaded osm layers are assigned the CRS of the current project.
It should be set to the osm default (EPSG 4326, I assume)
3) Because there is no apparent CRS transform when the server request
is made, it appears from my brief test that the project has to be
WGS84 in order to download OSM data for the canvas extents. Using a
UTM CRS retrieved empty osm files.
4) Even though a dialog is presented to allow the user to overwrite a
file from the download widget, when you hit the download button, an
error is given saying a file of that name already exists.
5) If you are able to overwrite a file, the associated db file
probably needs to be removed also.

Thanks,
John