[Qgis-developer] Some concerns about QGIS on OS X, part 3

Mac Programmer MacPgmr at fastermac.net
Tue Feb 10 20:05:05 EST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

>>> Again, the objective here is to make adding value to QGIS as
>>> painless as
>>> possible.
>
>  Writing python plugins is pretty painless - in fact it's a pleasure.
> I define pleasure (partly) as something I wish I had more time for.

My current GIS is .NET based and so you write plugins in any .NET
language. I had never done any .NET programming before but found
plugin development to be a delight with both VB.NET and Oxygene
Pascal. No complicated linking, no header files, mix and match
assemblies (.dll's) from any .NET language without worrying about
what language they were written in - a real breath of fresh air
compared to GNU tools.

Where this is important is a couple of places. I've heard it said
more than once that any programmer can learn GIS but that not every
GIS person can learn programming. I don't think that's true, but in
any case two groups that can benefit from a wider choice in
development language are (1) non-GIS programmers who want to direct
as much of their attention to learning GIS instead of learning the
programming toolset, and (2) GIS types who may not yet be strong
programmers and want to direct as much of their attention to being
productive in their programming.

Thanks.

-Phil