[Qgis-developer] [Fwd: Re: [Qgis-user] Poll on website]

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Jul 15 12:22:49 EDT 2009

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, 15. Jul 2009 at 18:07:10 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Good point. However, I think Tim was a bit optimistic on our manpower,
> especially when he says that "it doesn't take that much effort to
> maintain" 2 versions: in fact, most bugfixes are not backported, not
> even to 1.1.

Backports are only for 1.0, 1.1 is just a release of the unstable branch - it
doesn't get any long term support - such as backported bugfixes.

At least that what I understood.

But I also believe that any manpower spend on 1.0 is mostly wasted - no matter
how tiny.

> so I would now vote for releasing frequently a new version
> from trunk, when we reach a general consensus that the current trunk is
> stable enough to be released (as it happens now, IMHO).

And I think that's already the plan.  1.2 will be released when the
symbology-ng & labeling stuff was merged.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden