[Qgis-developer] roadmap

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Jul 31 03:28:31 EDT 2009

Hi

Lorenzo Masini wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 July 2009 20:48:50 Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> And so on. Just take it as an example - any different arrangement of dates
>> would be ok for me, I'm mainly interested in checking whether a similar
>> schedule is feasible, and if it makes sense.
>> All the best.
>
> In my opinion could be a good thing to release new qgis versions in fixed
> dates, for example, every 6 months.
> This should permit us to write a feature plan with some middle milestones.
> What do you think about?
>
> regards
> Lorenzo

I also like this idea but we've tried it before and had problems. Since
we rely on people to work on stuff in their free time its very hard to
impose deadlines on anybody. The current system we have works very well
- - where we leave some time for open commits, send out a 'ok to release?'
email, and if everyone is happy plan a release schedule over the course
of the next month.

Perhaps things will be different now that we have a codebase that is
more stabilised and we are working in branches, so I am game to try
again since I would also like to see:

- - a yearly stable release that will have maintenance updates
- - several unstable releases for those who want to have the latest &
greatest

regards

- --

 * QGIS programming and support services