[Qgis-developer] Dynamic Stylesheet

ahmed at elegantdesigns.ca ahmed at elegantdesigns.ca
Fri Jul 31 09:25:40 EDT 2009

Hey List,

I have numerous zoning and road layers that have similar field
classifications but not exactly the same.

For example, a zoning layer has a general classification structure similar
to:
- R-*		// Residential
- C-*		// Commercial
- RM-*		// Residential-Mixed
- I-*		// Industrial
- etc ...

Different municipalities have different sub zone policies, so a small town
would have R-1 to R-15, whereas a small village would have R-1 to R-5 for
example. The key is that they all start with the same letter or two.

Each zone has a different standard color: R (orange), C (Grey), I (dark
grey) for example, where the subzones are painted with different shades of
that root color.

Saving and reloading a style file does not work when the number of classes
of the style file is different from the layer.

Q-1: So, I was wondering, is there a way to write a stylesheet, that
automagically assigns all residential areas different shades of orange,
commercial different shades with blue, etc…?

Q-2: Is there a way to write a plugin for it? I searched the API Docs
(http://doc.qgis.org/head/search.php?query=symbology) and I’m not sure if
any of these functions would help me achieve what I want.

Q-3: Since we’re talking stylesheets, is there a way to change the
default green to blue subclassing to colors I specify as default?

Cheers,
dassouki