[Qgis-developer] Data for QGIS Hackfest

Bob Bruce Bob.Bruce at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 23 18:50:30 EDT 2009

Here is some more detail on this dataset:

I am currently displaying two layers, one a layer of polygons on the
water layer and one a layer of points of officially named features in our
province. Both are SHAPE files on disk, the water polygons have 4821
features while the geo names have 16210 features which extend far,
far beyond the limits of the water polygons. I am trying to attach the
names to water polygons and checking them so I am viewing them
together.

When I select a row from the table of the geo names and try to zoom
to it using the tool QGIS goes into limbo and never does get to the
location. This is awful performance. However when I select a row from
the water polygon table and zoom to it then it goes there without a
problem. I really didn't want to 'window out' the geo names for the
area that I am working in but out of desperation I will try that next.

Another interesting aspect of these layers is my background layer
for the water layer which is a layer of polygons of the spaces
between the map edges, water polygons and rivers. The display
of this layer causes a sudden performance drop in QGIS, a draw
goes from 3 seconds to 20 seconds.

Comments?

      Bob Bruce