[Qgis-developer] tabbed interface

Maxim Dubinin sim at gis-lab.info
Sun May 3 16:11:42 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I wanted to get some ideas about tabbed interface extension for QGIS,
recently suggested by Lynx_r. Right now the tabs are visible only if
more than 1 tab is present. Do I understand right that QGIS had tabs
before? THey are present on some pictures, like this one for example.

I see it as a feature which can really add to QGIS unique feel and
look. Right now it allows to have multiple versions of QGIS layer stacks under one
roof, something like Firefox. It was made to run other type of
views: for example 3D View. But I'm thinking that Map composer Layout
and may be Tables, can fit into the tabs too.

Tabbed interface raises at least two questions:
1. Should we adopt changes to project file also? May be make a
separate "Save multiproject file?" option, available if more than 1
tab is open?
2. Should we also develop the idea of putting Map Composer into a tab?
If so, this would probably mean, that some of the tools need to be
hidden depending on tab type (data view, map layout, table, 3D, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Maxim

[1] http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Software/Spqr/barplot.png