[Qgis-developer] Re: QGIS 1.0.3 is next...

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu May 14 16:24:04 EDT 2009

Hi

Maxim Dubinin wrote:
> JEF> I wonder who actually is interested in 1.0.
>
> not me ;)

Personally I think we should continue with two branches.

a) it makes outsiders to the project see that we care about stability -
in the past a lot of people complained about new features coming out all
the time and no one taking care of just bug fixing and stabilising one
version. I believe Paolo was one who was vocal about this too. Others
offlist have also expressed a desire to have 'an unmoving long term
maintained QGIS that they can provide support services around'.

b) it doesn't take that much effort to maintain it

c) It establishes a good working practice / culture that we can be used
to as our project matures

c) sooner or later someone will commit something in trunk that breaks
all kinds of stuff and at least we will be able to say 'its unstable
version, if you care about stability use the stable release'

and lastly

d) when we get to a point where we want to do a long interval between
unstable releases e.g. because of major refactoring, we still will have
a version that we can easily keep current with minor fixes

So for me getting rid of the stable branch is a -1 vote.

Regards

Tim