[Qgis-developer] Which compiler should I use to build example code?

Henri De Feraudy feraudyh at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 09:36:50 EST 2009

Hello,
  I have installed cmake, read some documentation, checked out the latest timtut1 project and
run cmake, then the Microsoft VS 2008 C++ compiler.
(This is like using a sledge hammer to crack a peanut ;))

With eboth Qgis installers I get an error at link time: the linker complains as follows

C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS\bin\qgis_core.dll : fatal error LNK1107: invalid or corrupt file: cannot read at 0x2F0

(About the same mistake occurs when I use the osgeo release.)

By the way the non-osgeo release does not have the includes for GEOS and GDAL
and the names of the libraries for geos and gdal are not the ones that Cmake is looking for.

Maybe I should be using a "development library"??
Maybe I should download a more recent (than 1.0.2 Kore) installer?
Yours truly
Henri

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Henri De Feraudy <feraudyh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thankyou Tim,
> The first example to start with (tutorial 1) . I'd love to be able to continue and make it better, with rectangular selections (I guess that's the rubber band selection example).

OK. You need to build it using CMake. Standard procedure should be
(guessing a little because I'm a linux user):

Install osgeo4w into the standard location (c:\osgeo4w) including all
developer libs
Use your system properties to export the LIB_DIR environment var to
point to c:\osgeo4w
enter the tut dir
mkdir build
cd build
cmakesetup ..
configure (c)
generate (g)
nmake

Windows gurus please chip in where I have gone wrong above...

> As for the term div lib, I dont know what you mean. I am handicapped by the fact that I have been out of C & C++ programming for over a decade until a week ago :(.

Sorry that was a typo, I meant dev (ie developer) libs.

I just made some small tweaks to tuts 1-4 so please update from svn
when you get the chance.

Regards

Tim

> As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers "But I'm learning...".
>
> Henri

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

* QGIS programming and support services
* FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net