[Qgis-developer] Shapely Python package

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 19:33:51 EST 2009

Hi Guillaume,
> i built some python plugins before but i have only few knowledge about how does it work.
> I would like to know if i could use the Shapely Python package within QGis?
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Shapely
> http://gispython.org/shapely/manual.html

Yes certainly. In fact, I think there are already some python plugins
that use this library.
> I would like to write a plugin with more selection features than now (contains, equals, intersects...).
> The "selection by location" tool in fTools seems to be great but i can't use it because of a bug...
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1669

Yes, I am aware of this bug, and it will be fixed during the developers
meeting next week. Apologies for not having gotten to this sooner :-( I
am also planning on implementing additional overlay constraints (as you
have mentioned above), and another developer has provided a patch to add
additional selection constraints.

If you would like to contribute additional selection tools, I would
encourage you to use the QGIS API to do so, as this means a) fewer
dependencies for users, and b) more direct access to the layers on the
map canvas (for selecting features etc). Having said that, if you are
willing to do some coding, perhaps you would like to contribute to the
current implementation (fTools) to help improve it rather than creating
a new one?

Regards,

Carson

--