[Qgis-developer] Creating a raster image for use in QGIS application

Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica m.echavarriagregory at umiami.edu
Tue Nov 3 14:58:58 EST 2009

Dear Developers:

I am creating my own QGIS application. I have a PNG figure created with pylab's contourf function which uses a variable 2D matrix of values. My axes are already in lat-lon. I need this plot to be produced in a raster format that can be loaded (without using the georeferencing plugin) on top of a vector layer, without the frame, ticks, etc, that I get from pylab, just the plain image, I guess in GeoTIFF format...

I have seen around how to create a raster using GDAL and Python, but I want to use QGIS. How can I program this using the OSGeo4W package?

I use Python 2.5, numpy, matplotlib, etc... and OSGeo4W 1.0 Kore windows package in an XP machine.

Thanks a lot,
Angelica.

M. Angelica Echavarria-Gregory, M.Sc., E.I.
Ph.D Candidate
University of Miami
Phone 305 284-3611