[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] plugins organization/grouping proposal

Νίκος Νίκος
Tue Nov 3 19:56:22 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 00:14 +0100, G. Allegri wrote:
> Nikos, I didn't notice your suggestion. Good to know that it's not an
> isolated idea :)
>
> My two cents.
> In general I feel confortable with a nested model. We could provide a
> first top-level grouping based on the qgis layer type the plugin
> operates on, i.e. raster and vector. We can further subdivide them
> into second-level generic groups like "import/export", "analysis",
> etc. I would avoid groups like "terrain analysis" or "hydrology" at
> this level, even if this is a common approach, and would let them
> reside in lower levels... but I'm not sure whetrer it makes sense or
> it's just a subjective feeling.
>
> giovanni

+ some more general suggestions:

- no more than 2 levels - if required then (max.) 3 levels
- icons can be smaller (or at least have the option between e.g.: small,
medium, large)
- use the empty space on the very bottom panel (left from coordinate:,
scale:, [box]Render, CRS status button). Maybe merge with the very top
panel (the file - edit - view - ... - help menus)?

Nikos

G. Allegri wrote:
> >> Hi all.
> >> In these days I was watching my qgis plugins toolbar growin' and
> >> growin'... That's good, it means a lot of good code is being written,
> >> but I was wondering if it's the time to consider organizing the
> >> plugins under common task/feature/etc groups. It is a common structure
> >> in many GIS desktops: GRASS groups them under different "namespaces"
> >> (r.*, v.*, d.*, i.*, etc.), SAGA use data-types or kind of analysis
> >> (i.e. "grid", "vector", "table", "terrain analysis" modules, etc.),
> >> and so on for many others (MapWindows, or commercial solutions like
> >> ArcGIS Desktop).
> >> Wouldn't it be useful for QGis too? Has this been discussed?

Νίκος Αλεξανδρής: