[Qgis-developer] QGIS/QT write to registry problem

Maxim Dubinin sim at gis-lab.info
Fri Nov 6 10:43:56 EST 2009

Hi devs,

may be something to check while on hackfest

I have an annoying problem, which is really strange. It is the case
for one machine and I thought the problem is in its configuration, but
now it "creeped" to another one, so I think the problem is more
generic in either QGIS or QT.

The problem is about saving anything in Windows registry. Basically
after sometime QGIS stops doing it. As a result, for example, you
cannot switch from one interface language to another. I change the
language in the interface, but it doesn't appear that the change is reflected
in the registry.

We're also having exactly the same problem with other plugins of ours
that are storing anything in the registry. QGIS/QT? just stops writing
anything in the registry.

Win XP, SP3, latest nightly build from OSGeo4W. Cleaning the registry and
restarting QGIS helps, but only temporarily.

I realize this problem is hard to reproduce. I cleaned up QGIS and
registry dozen of times already to test our stuff, and got tired of
it. I hope this rings a bell to someone. And yes, it may be all my specific
setup problem after all.

Maxim

PS: the place where QGIS is writing stuff in the registry is a little
weird I suppose, it is:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1547161642-179605362-839522115-1003\Software\QuantumGIS\QGIS\locale