[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Maemo/Nokia N900

Sat Nov 14 07:16:45 EST 2009

Hi

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I still don't have a mobile phone and am thinking about buying a Linux based
> smartphone now - maybe the Nokia N900 with Maemo.
>
> Would QGIS perhaps compile on the N900/Maemo? If yes, would it be usuable at
> all with respect to processor speed and architecture and the GUI. I
> understand the N900 has a touch-screen. Would the existing QGIS GUI be
> usable with a touch-screen which is not as exact as a mouse-pointer? Would
> the touch-screen events be compatible with mouse-events at all for the
> QGIS-interface?
>
> Lots of questions - I know. Did someone try to get QGIS running on Maemo?

Disclaimer: I don't have this device or any experience with Maemo

>From reveiws I read and the device home page
(http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/) I get the impression that the one this
the n900 doesnt have is phone functionality so it may not fit your
requirements of being a phone. They report the resolution as being
800x 480 so we may need to perform some more dialog squishing to make
QGIS work as is on that display. Probably a better approach would be
for us to start building a src/mobile-app slimmed down version of QGIS
for use on mobile devices and with reduced feature set. Getting
something simple up and running should not really be that much work
and we could make it read .qgs files and prune the user interfaceback
to show only essential options.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks,